Sunday, August 25, 2013

The End Of The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy.

In the winter of '04, I got introduced to a British film called "Shaun Of The Dead". Never heard or read anything about this movie, bought it as a completely blind buy. After my first initial viewing, I fell in love with the world that Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, & Nick Frost created.

In '07, I seen "Hot Fuzz" opening weekend while it was in limited release here in the states. I enjoyed this more that "Shaun". Particularly due to the fact I clocked in a lot of hours watching 90's action films as a youth. It was a great reminder of how action films use to be.

Last night, I seen "The World's End". This film wraps up "The Three Flavors Cornetto" or "The Blood And Ice Cream" trilogy. It was sad to see the worlds Wright, Pegg, and Frost created come to end. However, nothing can last forever.

The film follows a group of friends who attempted 20 years ago to complete "The Golden Mile". The Golden Mile is a series of 12 pubs within a mile radius. They failed to reach the final pub, cleverly called "The World's End". 20 years have passed, most of them (excluding one) have grown up, moved away, and have became adults. The one who hasn't managed to grow up,  barely succeeds to gather everyone up to attempt to finish "The Golden Mile". When they get to their hometown, during their course of the mile; they realize something strange about the town they once called home. There's a eerie vibe about the pubs and the townspeople. The pubs aren't quite the same as they use to be. The townspeople kind of have a "robotic" mannerism.

The major change in this film I noticed right off the bat; Simon Pegg and Nick Frost play completely different characters. What do I mean by this ? In the past 2 films, Frost always has played the lovable "screw-up" whereas Pegg always plays the leader with a few flaws. In this one however, the roles are reversed. A major definite departure from the previous films in this trilogy. This made the film right from the get go worth watching. To this day, there has only been a few films I've seen Pegg play the screw up.

In this trilogy, the first film was a horror-romantic comedy film. The second was a action comedy film. This one is a social science fiction film. It was set (aside from the 90's montage in the beginning of the film) in modern times. Good departure considering what you normally get in a sci-fi film.  I normally don't watch too much science fiction. In my eyes, science fiction pieces are normally drawn out as far as story is concern and the films itself rely on loads of CGI. This film did have CGI work however, it wasn't overkill.

For the record, I don't hate or loathe Science Fiction. Not my genre of choice. I am really fond of Science Fiction films of the 70's and 80's. Haven't written the genre off completely, I just haven't found anything I have truly enjoyed......except if you count this film.

There are so many wrong ways, and a few right ways to end a trilogy. You end it the wrong way, the last installment gets regarded as the weakest link of the trilogy. You end it the right way, people have a hard time choosing which of the films are best out of the three. For the "Cornetto Trilogy", my favorite is "Hot Fuzz" however, I have a hard time choosing which is the best out of the three. Well done Edgar, Simon, and Nick !

No comments:

Post a Comment